- On 03/15/2018
- In Events
The Romanesque Hall – Open from March 15 to April 2, 2018
The renewed Romanesque Hall of the Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest will be reopen to the public, after 70 years, from March 15 to April 2, 2018, every day from 10.00 to 17.00. Preliminary registration is not required, the admission is free for all visitors.
The history of the Romanesque Hall of the Museum of Fine Arts
The ground floor halls of the museum were originally intended to house the institution’s collection of plaster casts from classical antiquity, the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, and to present the different styles of architecture. The Romanesque Hall was designed in a style best suited to accommodate large medieval plaster casts. During World War II, the hall suffered bomb damage that exposed it to the elements for a prolonged period. After 1945, all the damaged plaster copies that had been left to their fate on the ground floor of the museum were cramped into the Romanesque Hall, which was permanently closed off to visitors and used as a convenient warehouse. Although the idea of restoring the hall was proposed on countless occasions, it is only now that these plans have come to fruition. The restoration of the Romanesque Hall is an emblematic component of the reconstruction works carried out between 2015 and 2018, the most comprehensive ever in the history of the Museum of Fine Arts. The interior of the hall is a true masterpiece of turn-of-the-century decorative painting. The walls are adorned with figurative depictions, heraldic elements and intricate ornamentation.
source: Museum of Fine Arts
For photos of the Romanesque Hall please check the facebook page of MyLittleHungary.